Want to learn the latest skills and give your career a kick start? Want to work in a real job, for a real boss, with a real income? Then an apprenticeship or traineeship could be the right option for you.
Apprenticeships and traineeships combine training with paid employment. They can be full-time, part-time, or school-based.
An apprenticeship gives you training in a skilled trade, e.g. electrical, plumbing, cabinet making and automotive mechanics. A traineeship gives you training in a specific vocational area, e.g. administration, ICT, hospitality.
Apprentices and trainees complete a nationally-recognised qualification while learning valuable skills at work and under the guidance of a training organisation.
Apprenticeships take up to four years to complete, while traineeships vary in length from 12 months to three years.
You can start a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship in Years 11 or 12 or after you’ve left school.
Choosing an apprenticeship or traineeship
When choosing an apprenticeship or traineeship, think about what you enjoy doing and your interests. Talk to your family, friends, or school career counsellor or guidance officer about the jobs you are interested in. You could start your research by visiting some of the useful websites in our Jobs & Careers section or browsing the A–Z of apprenticeships and traineeships on the Queensland Training Information Service (QTIS).
Finding an employer and training organisation
Once you’ve decided what apprenticeship or traineeship you want to do, you will need to find an employer. Then, you and your employer will need to choose a training organisation to deliver your training. Visit Apprenticeships Info for more information about getting started as an apprentice or trainee.
There may be costs associated with undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship. These could include:
- fees for attending the training organisation
- uniforms and equipment
- text books and other study materials
- parking or transport costs to attend work or training.
You might be able to get some help covering these costs. Check out our Paying for your studies page for more information.
- Apprenticeships Info is a ‘one stop shop’ for information on apprenticeships and traineeships in Queensland.
- Australian Apprenticeships Pathways contains comprehensive information about Australian apprenticeships including potential job pathways across more than 50 industries.
- Australian Job Search is a free online jobs website that lets you look and apply for jobs and search for apprenticeships and traineeship in Queensland and interstate.
- Group Training Australia delivers information on traineeships and apprenticeships available through Group Training Australia as well as videos of apprentices talking about their experiences.
- Queensland Training Information Service lets you search for information on apprenticeships and traineeships approved for delivery in Queensland.
Last updated: 06-Jun-2017