When applying for a job, most employers will ask you to send or email them your resumé/curriculum vitae and a cover letter. They may also ask you to complete some selection criteria.
If your job application is successful, you will be asked to attend an interview.
Your resumé/curriculum vitae is a document outlining your education, qualifications, employment history (if relevant) and any other past achievements. A good resumé will make your job application stand out from the rest and motivate an employer to invite you for an interview.
A cover letter introduces you to a potential employer and focuses on why you're suited to the job. A good cover letter will help to ensure your resumé gets read so it’s important to give it as much attention as your resumé when preparing your job application.
Selection criteria are statements that describe the qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities and experience that are required in a job. If you are asked to respond to selection criteria, you need to prepare examples and written responses to each of the selection criteria showing that you have the skills, qualities, qualifications and demonstrated experience that the employer is looking for.
If your job application is successful, you may be shortlisted for an interview. This is your chance to find out more about the job and an opportunity for you to explain in person why you’re the right person for the job.
A career portfolio is a personal collection of information about you that you can use to apply for jobs, further education and training or scholarships.
It may include:
- your school certificates and statements (QCE, Senior Statement or Statement of Results and Tertiary Entrance Statement). licences
- training certificates
- written references
- work experience or placement reports
- work samples or photographs of samples of your work
- copies of your resumé.
- Australian JobSearch helps job seekers find jobs and career information.
- CareerOne provides job listings, career advice, job hunting tips and company profiles designed to help job seekers.
- myfuture is a comprehensive career information and exploration service, helping people to make career decisions and plan their career pathways. It contains some handy tips on job applications.
- Seek contains an extensive listing of job vacancies, career development resources, training information and tips on how to look for and apply for jobs.
Last updated: 06-Jun-2017