Thinking about studying at university?
Universities offer courses leading to a wide range of qualifications in a diverse range of fields from architecture to zoology.
Some university qualifications lead to specific occupations such as medicine, law or engineering. Other qualifications are more general such as arts, business or science degrees.
At university you can choose from:
- undergraduate qualifications such as diplomas, advanced diplomas and bachelor degrees
- postgraduate qualifications such as graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, masters degrees and doctoral degrees.
As a school leaver, you’ll need to start with an undergraduate qualification.
Choosing what to study
When choosing what to study at university, think about what job you might like in the future and what skills or qualifications you’ll need. You could start your research by visiting some of the websites in our Jobs and Careers section or you might find the information on our Choosing a course page useful.
Choosing where to study
Once you have an idea of what you’d like to study, you’ll need to find out where you can study it.
In Queensland, there are nine universities to choose from.
- Australian Catholic University
- Bond University
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- Queensland University of Technology
- The University of Queensland
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of Sunshine Coast
Check out our Choosing a course page for tips on how to decide what and where to study.
How to apply
For information on how to apply for university entrance in Queensland and interstate, check out our Applying for courses page.
Knowing how much a course will cost is an important factor in deciding what and where to study. You can get an estimate of first year study costs by using QTAC’s Course search application or you can contact universities directly to find how much the courses you are considering will cost.
You might be able to get some financial assistance to cover your study costs. Our Paying for your studies page has more information.
- Good Universities Guide helps you find courses, compare university ratings, explore careers, and search for scholarships at Australian universities, TAFEs and training colleges.
- myfuture lets you search for courses, training opportunities, and registered education and training providers across Australia.
- QTAC lets you search for university courses in Queensland, northern New South Wales and Tasmania.
Last updated: 03-Feb-2016